Founder, President and CEO
Karen Guenther is a registered nurse with more than two decades of nursing experience and more than a decade of experience leading the Semper Fi Fund. As a military spouse of 22 years, Karen supported the military in many volunteer roles across the country with each duty assignment before shifting gears in 2003 to help care for our wounded, ill and injured service members returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. In 2004 the Semper Fi Fund was born.
Karen grew up on a grape farm in central California before graduating from Fresno State University with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing. Specializing in pediatric intensive care and emergency room, she was named the UCSD Medical Center “Pediatric Nurse of the Year.” Karen worked in hospitals across the country while moving with her husband’s assignments. Before taking her passion to launch the Semper Fi Fund, Karen proudly served on a medical mission to Santiago, Chile and worked on bereavement programs and as an intensive care nurse.
Karen’s work with the military has bestowed her numerous accolades including:
• The U.S. Army Field Artillery Association Molly Pitcher Award
• The US SOCOM American Patriot Award
• The Marine Corps League Dickey Chapelle Award
• The Daughters of the American Revolution Medal of Honor
• The Cookie Award from Cookie Magazine for mothers who make a difference in the world
• 2013 Marine Corps Spouse of the Year from Armed Forces Insurance Military Spouse of the Year
• 2014 Appointed an Honorary Marine by the 35th Commandant of the Marine Corps
• 2014 Recipient of the Department of Defense Zachary and Elizabeth Fisher Distinguished Civilian Humanitarian Award, presented at the Pentagon’s Hall of Heroes.