The Semper Fi Fund Unit Reunion program provides a multi-day outdoor experience to service members of any unit that deployed together in support of OIF/OEF. We focus our support at the company level. At this level, we are able to gather small units that have experienced the crucible of combat together to re-establish friendships, initiate peer groups and facilitate group healing.
Semper Fi Fund Unit Reunions make recovery and growth the unit’s next mission.
While our model is focused on small unit gatherings our Reunion staff stands ready to provide tailored support to meet specific needs or achieve a unique vision of the unit. You can read about one Marine’s experience at a SFF Unit Reunion here.
How It Works:
1. Semper Fi Fund Case Managers coordinate interested unit participants with Semper Fi Fund Reunion Coordinator Staff.
2. Unit members are given the resources to plan unit reunions – they take ownership of the event. Reunion events employ a “back to basics” model based on a traditional military “field operation.”
3. Reunions are held in outdoor environments that may include farms, ranches and other rugged retreat-style locations.
4. Logistical support is pre-staged by the Reunion staff. Unit participants may camp out with tents and cots, or utilize indoor venues, and are given the opportunity to participate in a series of planned events and outdoor activities that incorporate our pillars of service, wellness and camaraderie.
5. Activities are tailored to meet the needs of each unit based on available resources at the Reunion location. Activities may include sporting events, hikes, rafting and other team focused outdoor recreation activities. Evening events include bonfires, lawn games, concerts and other activities to reignite the flame of camaraderie.
6. The members of the unit conduct a service project while connecting with the local community – reminding them of the value of their commitment to serving others and returning a sense of purpose to the unit.
7. The unit is also presented with actionable support resources through information sessions from experts in topics such as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), as well as representatives from a variety of Veteran Service Organizations. These sessions generate conversation among the members of the unit, facilitating the realization that they are not alone in the challenges they face.
What to Expect:
When you identify a unit who would value hosting a reunion, contact the Semper Fi Fund Reunion staff. These professionals work with the unit reunion leader to begin the planning process.
Each unit reunion takes approximately 4-6 months to plan depending on the scope of support necessary.
Travel assistance is available based on individual need. Event participation is cost-free for every member of the unit through funding provided by the Semper Fi Fund. Gold Star Families receive special accommodations at the Unit Reunions.
The Semper Fi Fund stands shoulder to shoulder with the unit reunion leader to plan and execute each reunion.
Who To Contact
For information on planning a Unit Reunion, contact Sara Aumuller at email@example.com.